Pros and Cons of Converting....

Asterix

A refrigerated unit?
Hi all,ive decided I want to convert a truck to get more space,ive been thinking about a fridge truck but don't know much about their construction or the pitfalls (if any).
Anyone done a conversion or can point me to a blog?
Cheers,Dave

hextal

I've only converted a panel van, not a refrigerated truck, but I'd have thought that the insulation would already be pretty sorted. Ready built air-conditioning?

mistericeman

Forum Member
Ready insulated but heavy usually for what they are.... base unit will usually have been run into the ground before being sold on...
beware ex meat/fish units... you'll NEVER get rid of the smell.

n brown

Forum Member
not sure what size you want, but ambulances with box bodies are well insulated and maintained,have heating,windows,doors and skylights .

Asterix

Ready insulated but heavy usually for what they are.... base unit will usually have been run into the ground before being sold on...
beware ex meat/fish units... you'll NEVER get rid of the smell.

Good info re the smell,hadnt considered that,not sure if they'd be noticeably heavier than something I'd have to frame and insulate myself?

mistericeman

Forum Member
Good info re the smell,hadnt considered that,not sure if they'd be noticeably heavier than something I'd have to frame and insulate myself?

Some of them are really ridiculously heavy for what they are.... bearing mind some have walls close to 300mm thick.
I'd look closely before taking the plunge... and smell carefully (I used to do quite a lot of work on fridge pack stuff (mobile cold rooms etc)
the smell can linger even years after (not so bad when it's rattling along at minus 20/30 but when ambient....)

Asterix

not sure what size you want, but ambulances with box bodies are well insulated and maintained,have heating,windows,doors and skylights .

I had been thinking along the lines of a 7.5 ton truck,im really after space and my personal thoughts are to go large with an engine that's not working too hard as opposed to my current ride that's needs to be thrashed to get up hills etc.

Asterix

Some of them are really ridiculously heavy for what they are.... bearing mind some have walls close to 300mm thick.
I'd look closely before taking the plunge... and smell carefully (I used to do quite a lot of work on fridge pack stuff (mobile cold rooms etc)
the smell can linger even years after (not so bad when it's rattling along at minus 20/30 but when ambient....)

I guess it's a matter of considering the weight on an individual basis and deciding what's best,300 mm is certainly overkill for my purposes.

Byronic

I had been thinking along the lines of a 7.5 ton truck,im really after space and my personal thoughts are to go large with an engine that's not working too hard as opposed to my current ride that's needs to be thrashed to get up hills etc.

Only you know how much you want more space. But if you can manage with your present space, and your only other gripe is the need to thrash it to get up hills, then why not just keep on thrashing it? My van is probably as slow as yours, that's what I do!
I'm sure you've considered the negative as well as the positive implications of a +3.5tonne selfbuild?

Asterix

Only you know how much you want more space. But if you can manage with your present space, and your only other gripe is the need to thrash it to get up hills, then why not just keep on thrashing it? My van is probably as slow as yours, that's what I do!
I'm sure you've considered the negative as well as the positive implications of a +3.5tonne selfbuild?

I've managed with my current home for nearly two years,but had enough of making a bed every day,more importantly I really hate the cold so looking to add a woodburner so I'm not forced to travel to warmer climes each year.
I'm looking to have separation from the cab area which seems to be the achilles heel of mh heating,i also require more storage and looking to have a more self sufficient vehicle,as much as I enjoy my current home theres just too many downsides for full timing.

voyagerstan

As has been said library vans are good for con verting , insulated have lighting and ebo heating and well looked after , low miles . Our had only done 60k when we got it . It's totally reliable and now 250k on the clock . :)Stan

Asterix

As has been said library vans are good for con verting , insulated have lighting and ebo heating and well looked after , low miles . Our had only done 60k when we got it . It's totally reliable and now 250k on the clock . :)Stan

Certainly worth considering,ive not ruled anything out yet,i do like the idea of a straight sided fridge box for ease of conversion....one of the difficulties of full-time is making the move to another vehicle when I have limited opportunity for somewhere to actually do the basic work so it seems like the easiest option in my case.

Byronic

I've managed with my current home for nearly two years,but had enough of making a bed every day,more importantly I really hate the cold so looking to add a woodburner so I'm not forced to travel to warmer climes each year.
I'm looking to have separation from the cab area which seems to be the achilles heel of mh heating,i also require more storage and looking to have a more self sufficient vehicle,as much as I enjoy my current home theres just too many downsides for full timing.[/QUOTE

Soon as you mention Full Timing then that changes everything!

I go along with what I believe to be the majority view on a full timing van conversion, and that is it can't really be achieved on anything less than 3.5tonnes without a lot of compromising. Although I don't full time, I do go overseas 5 months every winter, it's a real bonus to have spare payload can add extra gas bottles, batteries, rack carry a m/bike at will.

I cut a full height narrow width opening at the bulkhead in my van and draw an insulated heavy curtain over it to keep cab separate from the living area.

FULL TIMER

A good prison wagon is the way to go, most are PSV so have received very regular servicing , very well insulated sides roof and floor and everything straight to aid converting, ours weighed in at 6300kg before stripping out and converting and weighed much the same after the conversion with all our crap in it, it's a 7.5 ton Iveco Eurocargo and still manages around 20 odd mpg. There are some pictures on here somewhere that might give you some idea's of what can be done. Here you go
http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums...ansport-self-built-conversion.html?highlight=

trevskoda

Forum Member
As capt brown said these are the way to go,insulated sky lights inverters bank of batterys ,night heaters etc,can be down plated from 10t to 7.5t,£7/8 grand and a snip at that.

Asterix

A good prison wagon is the way to go, most are PSV so have received very regular servicing , very well insulated sides roof and floor and everything straight to aid converting, ours weighed in at 6300kg before stripping out and converting and weighed much the same after the conversion with all our crap in it, it's a 7.5 ton Iveco Eurocargo and still manages around 20 odd mpg. There are some pictures on here somewhere that might give you some idea's of what can be done. Here you go
http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums...ansport-self-built-conversion.html?highlight=

I was checking out your conversion last week,a very nice job too! After looking around at various base vehicles I've really set my heart on a Daf LF but as with everything that's subject to change if the perfect vehicle at the right price comes along.

Asterix

As capt brown said these are the way to go,insulated sky lights inverters bank of batterys ,night heaters etc,can be down plated from 10t to 7.5t,£7/8 grand and a snip at that.

That's not a snip on my limited budget lol,people on the dole earn more than me!
Does look the bees knees tho....

hextal

I'd be tempted not to write off a 3.5t straight away.

When I chose my Movano (and others will have similar) I opted for the bigger engine. Nothing special at 120bhp, just not the bog standard 90-100bhp. It's still good for 95ish on the autobahns and no issues at all with the various steep twisty alpine roads in Germany and Austria. Plus, with that type of driving, I still averaged 38mpg around Europe.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)