DVLA requirements for change to motor caravan

• Thread starter Deleted member 4404
  • Start date

wildebus

Forum Member
Hi, I'm new to the forum. We have just had our application refused to turn our V5 into a campervan. Doesn't look like a campervan in traffic was the reason. I too am having difficulties with the worfing for the windows. I think there should be three window on one side, including the passenger window, the other half thinks not. We didn't put graphics on the side as it said 'most of these requirements' must be met. Is there any point in resubmitting if we put graphics on and another window?
there must be a minimum of 2 windows on one side EXCLUDING the cab windows. So you are correct on that point.
the way DVLA work now, you have to in reality do ALL the requirements and still cross your fingers.

doesn't cost anything other than cost of a stamp to resubmit, so go for it!

trucking

Forum Member
there must be a minimum of 2 windows on one side EXCLUDING the cab windows. So you are correct on that point.
the way DVLA work now, you have to in reality do ALL the requirements and still cross your fingers.

doesn't cost anything other than cost of a stamp to resubmit, so go for it!
Hi you're probably right. I meant that it was refused because it didn't look like a campervan in traffic. There was a link to some pictures on the first page but i couldn't see any pictures.

Last edited:

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
The trouble is now delivery vans, horse boxes and motorhomes can share the same mouldings!
It states that the body type does not dictate the use for the vehicle. I checked mine with the clean air website and it came back with body type coach. If I managed to get the taxation class to PLG with a weight exemption it would still have the body type coach.
When you check with the clean air zone people they claim it's done on taxation class. So why was I told I would be charge £60 a day! because of the body type.

Squiffy

Forum Member
Hi, I'm new to the forum. We have just had our application refused to turn our V5 into a campervan. Doesn't look like a campervan in traffic was the reason. I too am having difficulties with the worfing for the windows. I think there should be three window on one side, including the passenger window, the other half thinks not. We didn't put graphics on the side as it said 'most of these requirements' must be met. Is there any point in resubmitting if we put graphics on and another window?
Hi Trucking,
Yes it has now become very difficult to get it registered as a "Motor caravan". Your other half is correct that the passenger window does not count in the amount of windows required per side, it is two windows on one side and at least one window on the opposite side. Preferably caravan style windows in my opinion but this is not stipulated in their requirements. Though I can see that if they are not caravan style I.e. Seitz, then it is highly likely to make it a van with windows category. I think and this is my honest thought that you have to stand back and look at a van that has been self built or even professionally built and genuinely say to your self does this really look like a " Motor caravan" could it be mistaken for a commercial van with windows at a glance, is the internals unmistakably that of a caravan with everything expected in a caravan visibly present, if the answer to any of those points is "No" then expect a refusal from the DVLA. 🤔. Phil

trucking

Forum Member
Our vehicle is an ex -ambulance so it has a big window on one side boken by an aluminium structure, so there are two ppieces of glass in it. You would think that should count as two windows.

trucking

Forum Member
Hi Trucking,
Yes it has now become very difficult to get it registered as a "Motor caravan". Your other half is correct that the passenger window does not count in the amount of windows required per side, it is two windows on one side and at least one window on the opposite side. Preferably caravan style windows in my opinion but this is not stipulated in their requirements. Though I can see that if they are not caravan style I.e. Seitz, then it is highly likely to make it a van with windows category. I think and this is my honest thought that you have to stand back and look at a van that has been self built or even professionally built and genuinely say to your self does this really look like a " Motor caravan" could it be mistaken for a commercial van with windows at a glance, is the internals unmistakably that of a caravan with everything expected in a caravan visibly present, if the answer to any of those points is "No" then expect a refusal from the DVLA. 🤔. Phil
I don't think it looks like a van. The rules are riduculous as we were told we could still use it as a campervan. I don't see what difference it makes what it looks like in traffic, we have a number plate that the police can check and dedice if it's legal.

Last edited:

Squiffy

Forum Member
I don't think it looks like a van. The rules are riduculous as we were told we could still use it as a campervan. I don't see what difference it makes what it looks like in traffice, we have a number plate that the police can check and dedice if it's legal.
I agree, in the past Millie Master and I have had words through emails with the head of DVLA when the rules were announced but not as yet put into practice, it seems as though it was left up to people who had no interest in camper vans or motorhomes to decide if it was going to be reclassified as a "Motor caravan" and it would also seem that if he or she had a bad day then it was refused regardless, this was all previously to the requirement change. I would hazard a guess that a lot of this new regulation was to stop this happening and make the decision more non bias ( I don't know this for sure) as refusals were being contested on a regular basis. You might have noticed that many of the professionals are now having their conversions classed as"Van with windows" as they nearly all have started building vans with smoked glass side windows and to keep costs down no roll out awnings or solar panels and so have fallen at the looks like hurdle, so we self builders not the only ones suffering with this change. I'm lucky I suppose as mine was built before the changes but does look like a motor caravan in anycase
And could not possibly be mistaken for anything else, it doesn't have decals because motorhomes I've had in the past, the decals have always faded and made it look shabby, however it would be the only thing that would hold it back with the new requirements but would be easily corrected. Phil

trucking

Forum Member
I agree, in the past Millie Master and I have had words through emails with the head of DVLA when the rules were announced but not as yet put into practice, it seems as though it was left up to people who had no interest in camper vans or motorhomes to decide if it was going to be reclassified as a "Motor caravan" and it would also seem that if he or she had a bad day then it was refused regardless, this was all previously to the requirement change. I would hazard a guess that a lot of this new regulation was to stop this happening and make the decision more non bias ( I don't know this for sure) as refusals were being contested on a regular basis. You might have noticed that many of the professionals are now having their conversions classed as"Van with windows" as they nearly all have started building vans with smoked glass side windows and to keep costs down no roll out awnings or solar panels and so have fallen at the looks like hurdle, so we self builders not the only ones suffering with this change. I'm lucky I suppose as mine was built before the changes but does look like a motor caravan in anycase
And could not possibly be mistaken for anything else, it doesn't have decals because motorhomes I've had in the past, the decals have always faded and made it look shabby, however it would be the only thing that would hold it back with the new requirements but would be easily corrected. Phil
We are looking into getting decals. So tinted windows are not accepted in the rear of a campervan? I managed to see the interior pictures from the links, it's a shame they don't have ones of the outside which are acceptable.
We have residency in an EU country and want to import our vehicle, we've been told here to change the V5 to a campervan. We are absolutely gutted that they won't change it. We've used it as a campervan for 20+ years.

Last edited:

Squiffy

Forum Member
We are looking into getting decals. So tinted windows are not accepted in the rear of a campervan? I managed to see the interior pictures from the links, it's a shame they don't have ones of the outside which are acceptable.
I didn't know that rear tinted windows were unacceptable! I thought they were only interested in the side windows and how many side windows? Phil

wildebus

Forum Member
I think the tinted windows not accpetable thing is a "lost in translation" point within this thread (similar to the "he's right" and "she's right" about the number of windows ;) )

Squiffy

Forum Member
I think the tinted windows not accpetable thing is a "lost in translation" point within this thread (similar to the "he's right" and "she's right" about the number of windows ;) )
Ha! see what you mean Dave. I'm talking about rear door windows. Missed the fact that Trucker was talking about rear side windows. Phil

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)