Calor gas insanity

mistericeman

Forum Member
Each to their own when you've seen the damage it makes you think even at Calor prices its not worth it and of course anyone doing this has informed their insurance company.
It would be an interesting conversation with your insurance company in the event of an accident involving refilling a calor etc 'None refillable' bottle ...

And not one I'd be wanting to have ....

And frankly IF myself or one of mine were injured by such actions ...

I'd go through EVERY Court I possibly could to seek justice for those actions .

Squiffy

Forum Member
As a matter of interest I would like to know if anyone can find in Government rules and regulations where it is illegal to fill a propane bottle from another. Yes I have seen lots about illegal this and illegal that but from interested parties such as Calor gas and Gas it, infact only from Calor gas and Gas it. This is only as I say a point in question, as try as I may I can only find " It is illegal " from as I say commercially interested parties. It would be really informative if anyone interested in this to actually find the relevant regulation, and trust me this is only a point of freedom of information. I still say it's not the best way of filling a gas bottle but it would really be interesting to know the actual Law as past by Parliament. Phil

P.S.
And I'm not talking about filling non conforming 80% cut off bottles at a petrol station, that even if not illegal is darn right daft.

Last edited:

Millie Master

Forum Member
And I'm not talking about filling non conforming 80% cut off bottles at a petrol station, that even if not illegal is darn right daft.

I too would like to know if there is actually a law, however Phil your sign off sentence copied above I find to be somewhat confusing as surely you ARE talking about standard OTC gas bottles that don't have built in 80% regulated cut offs being refilled at petrol stations?

Phil

Squiffy

Forum Member
I too would like to know if there is actually a law, however Phil your sign off sentence copied above I find to be somewhat confusing as surely you ARE talking about standard OTC gas bottles that don't have built in 80% regulated cut offs being refilled at petrol stations?

Phil
No Phil, my thoughts have been about refilling a say 6kg propane non 80% compliant bottle from a larger Propane bottle in a private environment, I.e. Not in a public place.
I noted in my search for Rules and regulations that someone on ebay had been prosecuted for selling adapters that enabled people to do exactly what you are saying, filling non compliant tanks at autogas outlets. But I also noted that the prosecution was for selling items which were not up to standard and had a potential to leak in use, this prosecution was bought by Trading standards and although it was portrayed that the filling of bottles by private individuals was illegal practice, it was actually about a trading standards issue and nothing to do with the legality of filling your own non 80% bottles at an Autogas station. However as I say my search was for the actual white paper regulation about the filling of Propane or for that matter Butane bottles by non authorised persons? Which although I've spent quite a time searching I can not find anything that prohibits the practice. Phil.

P.s.
Once again I am not condoning the practice, but having done it myself 50years ago in a military situation through necessity and found it quite safe to do, if done correctly. I'd really like to know the truth of the matter. The prosecutions of people who have caused damage and accidents through filling their own bottles have been akin to someone with a valid driving licence being prosecuted by the Police for dangerous driving and not because they were driving per say.

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
When your doing a liquid exchange it's not easily possible to overfill.
Pumping the liquid in is another story.
Never empty the cylinder of all gas, or you might introduce air into the cylinder.
The existing gas in the cylinder will act as a buffer to stop over filling.
Remember to purge the transfer hose of all air or you could introduce air into the cylinder.
Weighing the cylinder whilst filling is a good idea to help you understand what's happening.
If you did manage to fill a cylinder 100% with liquid propane you would not have a boil space.
Turning on your cooker with liquid propane in the pipes is not recommended.

These notes are just fantasy and not recommend or advised.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)