Bull bar mounted spare wheel question

Tookey

Forum Member
I'm too nervous to mount x2 jerry cans on fibreglass, I've bottle it! So my spare wheel is underslung, I can use that space for the 2 cans but it means mounting the spare on the bull bars. Will look horrible imo but that's where am at. Is it as simple as getting a metal plate welded to the bull bar, drilling and then mounting the tyre with bolts. Am I overlooking anything? (doesn't block radiator, no issue there)

wildebus

Forum Member
I'm too nervous to mount x2 jerry cans on fibreglass, I've bottle it! So my spare wheel is underslung, I can use that space for the 2 cans but it means mounting the spare on the bull bars. Will look horrible imo but that's where am at. Is it as simple as getting a metal plate welded to the bull bar, drilling and then mounting the tyre with bolts. Am I overlooking anything? (doesn't block radiator, no issue there)
There are certainly vehicles with that setup and I think you could get a setup made that could look good but want to make sure the bullbar can take the extra weight (wheel and tyre combo not light :( )

trevskoda

Forum Member
Mine is on my bum, and gage for 2 jerry cans
sw 4.jpg

mistericeman

Forum Member
A lot of folk mount stuff to the front of their vehicles....
Spare wheels/motorcycles/winches etc....

Biggest issue I can see is it basically wipes out any pedestrian crash protection (most modern vehicles are designed to be 'soft' at the front to provide extra protection in the event of pedestrian contact)
Even bus type vehicles are designed in a way to minimise damage....

So you may find construction and use regulations are a concern (not that a lot of folks seem to care... At least not until they have an accident)

Ask your insurance company before you get started....
You should be letting them know anyway as its a material alteration to the vehicle they have insured.

Sprinter 1 cup

Forum Member
I always wanted one on bambi and you can get good covers or plastic round plate, you can right 'deeps
pu ' on it. Lol as it was a bambi.
Looks better in their mirror

Nabsim

Forum Member
Surely there must be an age cut off for this, can’t see manufacturers having to comply with pedestrian safety crumple zones the Construction and Use regs allowing anything at the front like a spare wheel, (even bull bars come to that)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)