VW Autosleeper 3 way fridge freezer- Help needed please!

Rhyss Pieces

Forum Member
Hello there, wondering if someone could help me please.

I am a new owner of a 1996, VW transporter auto sleeper which has an Electrolux three-way fridge. My problem is I’m not entirely sure if it’s working or indeed, how to use it. I have successfully managed to ignite the pilot light, but I’m not confident that the fridge is working?

Should I hear a noise from the fridge when it’s running? Also would I be able to use the 12v battery option?

I haven’t been able to try using a hook up yet so I’m only trying the above 2 options at this point me

Needless to say I’m a bit of a loss & I would appreciate any advice available

Many thanks
Rhys

Squiffy

Forum Member
Evening Rhys,
A three way fridge works on Gas, 12volts (when engine is running only), and mains 230volts.
When working on gas the flame heats the refrigerant which then circulates around the vanes/pipework at the rear of the fridge and causes the icing up of the fridge plate inside which then cools the interior down ( Very basic explanation) the 12volts does exactly the same but uses a 12volt coil to heat up and circulate the refridegarent, this 12volts is supplied by the cars alternator and only when the engine is running as the amount of amps used to supply the fridge heater would flatten your liesure battery very quickly if it were connected to it. When the engine stops the 12volts ceases to flow from the alternator and the fridge heating coil starts to cool down unless you light the gas or switch to 230volts. The 230volts does exactly as the 12volt or gas and heats a coil that keeps the refrigerant circulating.
This is a very basic explanation of each method of operating the fridge. I'm sure that if you Google how does a three way fridge work you will get a far clearer idea than the one I've given. 😜. Phil

Squiffy

Forum Member
By the by most 3 way fridges will take atleast 3 or 4 hours to start to lower the inside tempeture to the standard 5degs, when using gas or 230volts, the 12volt situation is really to keep the fridge at a low tempreture when travelling and is not really meant to be used to cool the fridge down initially but on a long journey it will eventually bring the temp down to 5 degrees. There is little or no noise apart from some gas burners on some makes of 3 way do tend to have a slight roar but this is usually on the bigger 3 way fridges like 100-190ltr.
We either plug in at home or light the gas the night before we go on a trip, if we remember that is. Phil

Millie Master

Forum Member
Hello there, wondering if someone could help me please.

I am a new owner of a 1996, VW transporter auto sleeper which has an Electrolux three-way fridge. My problem is I’m not entirely sure if it’s working or indeed, how to use it. I have successfully managed to ignite the pilot light, but I’m not confident that the fridge is working?

Should I hear a noise from the fridge when it’s running? Also would I be able to use the 12v battery option?

I haven’t been able to try using a hook up yet so I’m only trying the above 2 options at this point me

Needless to say I’m a bit of a loss & I would appreciate any advice available

Many thanks
Rhys

If you are able to light the pilot light on gas then this side of the fridge is working.

If you are able to do so, hook your van up to a direct 230V supply, lights should come on, on the display panel and you ought to be able to set a temperature.

As for running it on gas and due to the age of your van, I suggest you have the connections thoroughly checked over for safety by a gas engineer.

Good luck as these are darned good fridges and I wish I had installed one instead of the darned noisy 12v fridge I fitted!

Phil

Rhyss Pieces

Forum Member
Brilliant thanks for your help Phil. Hopefully I’ll get a chance to test it out over the weekend .. I’ll let you know how it get on!!

Cheers again!
Rhys

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)